Thursday, May 7, 2009

Chemical Romance

Just finished weeding and working some backyard compost into my flowering herbs and perennials. I'm thinking about covering the beds with newspaper or cardboard and mulch from tree-chipping. I've done this in the vegetable garden for walking paths between beds, and I'm a believer. Bind weed, bring it on!

Creating permanent beds and permanent paths in your garden is great for keeping weeds out and moisture in. It's a lot of work and I have spent hours prepping the garden in this way. But it's worth it.

I'll admit, I'm not above temptation to put chemical fertilizer and weed killer on the lawn and flowerbeds. Chemicals may be a quick fix, but they do far more harm than good.

Today, stop to think about all the ways you use chemicals, including household cleansers, food additives and pharmaceuticals. See if you are willing to try a natural approach to your problem. Your hard work will be worth it. You may even enjoy the process of doing it yourself.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment