Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Growing in tight spaces

People have lots of excuses for not growing their own food. Mainly, time and space. Time and space, by the way, are illusions. True, they seem real. Then again, that's the definition of an illusion. I invite you to think about it next time you experience deja vu.

I used to think I was too busy earning a living to grow my own food. I left most of the work to Ben while I recuperated from slaving at my day job. Then, I found myself suddenly without a job and a lot of restless energy.

I also found myself with little desire to go back to the way I had been living. I wondered about the possibility of becoming independent of a single source of income. I wondered if I could grow and preserve enough food to at least take a chunk out of the grocery bill. My mind was opening to the possibility of living the life I had been dreaming of.

So I doubled the size of our garden. You've heard of Square Foot Gardening... well, I'd like to introduce you to a little concept called Square Inch Gardening, a method of growing many plants packed closely together. This highly efficient method of gardening works so well because it emulates how plants grow in nature.

We're packing them close this year. With 900 square feet of vegetable garden, we don't have a problem with space for growing food. However, we do have a problem relaxing and finding time to enjoy the fruits of our labor.

I'm almost finished planting and my back is a little sore. I used to be a very tight person, physically and psychologically. Although I am much more open now, I am still learning to let go a little and let nature take its course. Through yoga I have discovered the way to relieve tight spaces is to make more room for them.

Today I will honor my work's purpose -- cultivating life --by relaxing into those tight spaces. After all, the purpose of life is to enjoy it!

Much love,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment