Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Optimism, pass it on!

Have you ever seen those billboards that say things like "Optimism, pass it on!" on southbound I-84 driving into Utah? Kind of refreshing, for a billboard.

I took a road trip to SLC last weekend with my sister and my daughter to see my mom for Mother's Day, and besides the long, boring-ass drive to get there... I saw those signs that I love and got to thinking, what if advertising were about spreading messages of hope and love?

I know, I know, advertising is about selling products. But, what if?

Yesterday I heard some encouraging news on NPR. The "Big Four" television networks are struggling to sell their ad spots. Seems the media moguls are unprepared to change in a time when media is changing faster than you can say 'Seinfeld.' Ads are cheaper elsewhere. And there are plenty of elsewheres willing to accommodate. Who knew?

I also heard on NPR that Public Service Announcements (PSA's) are up by about 20 percent across the nation.

What would you rather hear? Another lame Venus razor blade commercial, or a call to fellow humans to serve some higher purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment